You’ve reached us outside of our opening hours. Create your account to get access to My Elder, our online portal for arranging care and accessing information to support your journey to care.

How are home carers insured?

Deciding to bring on care at home for a loved one can be an emotional process. Because of this, you want the logistics to be as easy as possible. Having said that, it is also important not to leave essential factors to chance, such as checking that your carer is adequately insured.

Using an introductory care agency removes the need to advertise or find a carer on your own. Agencies will ensure that any carer in their portfolio is properly insured, qualified and equipped to do the job at hand. By taking this on yourself, you could leave yourself exposed to an additional cost of care you may not have considered

Choose the right agency and its staff should take care of everything from sourcing a good match to dealing with taxes and insurance.

It is important to note, however, that while most agencies are reliable, it is always important to check the agency itself. A proper care agency won’t mind you asking for proof of legitimacy.

The importance of home care insurance

Regardless of whether you are advertising on your own, or with the help of an agency, you should understand the types of home care insurance that should be in place.

Public liability insurance

Public Liability Insurance will form a central part of any carers’ insurance package. This type of insurance is designed to cover an someone working as professional in elderly care if they are faced with a compensation or injury claim, directed at them from a client or a third party.

Public Liability Insurance will cover any payments if a claimant is successful in making a case against a live-in carer. This insurance will also include any legal fees. For example, a care recipient could sue a caregiver for hurting them while moving them and, if successful, could receive compensation. This compensation would be paid out by public liability insurance.

The amount of which a live-in carer is insured for can depend. Therefore, as well as confirming that your carer is legally protected, you should establish how much they are covered for.

Colin and Dulcie’s story

Dulcie is 102-years-old and lives with her son Colin, his wife Mary, and her Carer Sarah. She has dementia and has had full-time live-in care for over two years.

We talk to the family about the challenges of finding the right care solution for

a fiercely independent woman – and how the positive benefits of live-in care with Sarah has transformed all of their lives.

Living with Live in Care: Dulcie's Story

Employers’ liability insurance

If you choose to go through a legitimate agency, they will have Employers’ Liability Insurance. This type of insurance is a legal requirement for almost all businesses which employ staff.

Employers’ Liability Insurance is essential to protect both employers and their employees, should something happen. It covers compensation claims, for example, if an employee falls ill or is injured at work.

Business equipment insurance

Agencies and individuals providing home care may also choose to have Business Equipment Insurance. This type of insurance covers any medical equipment. Therefore, while not always necessary, if your loved one relies on equipment which could be lost, stolen or break, it might be worth considering.

Now you are aware of what types of insurance are available to carers, it’s time to do your research! When choosing a carer, it pays to take the time to research properly, ensuring that your loved one is in the best hands possible.

Call us for expert live-in care advice

When choosing a carer, you must take the time to check that they are insured properly. We discuss the different types of insurance and what to look for.

Related Questions

Home care: the questions you need to ask

If you are looking for in-home care for yourself or a relative, there are a number of important questions to ask potential providers of care at home before you make a decision about which one is most suitable for you or your loved one.

Read more

Home care or nursing home: what’s the difference?

Deciding whether your needs can be met by care at home or whether you need to go into a nursing home is an issue faced by many older people.

Read more

Home care: how to find a carer

People usually want to remain independent and in their own homes for as long as they can, but as they grow older there is often a need for some support with this.

Read more

Home care: what are the costs?

The costs of home care to an individual can vary widely and are dependent on many different factors. These include the type of care needed, how many hours a week you need a caregiver to be present, your own financial situation, where in the UK you live and whether you are eligible for any assistance with your care fees.

Read more

Home care: what does it provide?

Home care is a good way of providing elderly care and care for people who are recovering from illnesses or have mobility issues.

Read more

Home Care: What is Palliative Care?

Palliative care is the support, care and treatment needed by someone who is living with what is often called a life-limiting condition or illness. This type of care is also known as supportive care and may extend to family and friends, as well as the primary care recipient.

Read more

Home Care: What is Respite Care?

Respite care involves a carer taking a short break while someone else looks after a loved one. This temporary arrangement can cover all types of care at home including companion care, elderly care and dementia care. Respite care can also offer more specialised help for an older person, particularly if they’re recuperating after illness or a stay in hospital or need dementia care.

Read more

Home Care: What’s the best way to hire a carer?

There are a number of ways in which you can hire a home carer. You can use a specialist such as Elder to provide your loved one with a carefully vetted and matched carer, or you can employ a carer directly. You will no doubt want to consider all options when making the decision in order to find the most suitable solution for you and your loved one.

Read more