Become a carer with Elder

Work with an agency that is committed to doing right by you. When you care with Elder you’ll get a minimum of £700 for every full week you work, double pay on bank holidays, and the opportunity to access a range of benefits that support your financial, emotional, and physical well-being.

Let us know a few simple details about yourself and you could start working in as little as 2 weeks.

Doing right by you

Earn more on every placement

Our placements pay a minimum of £700 for every full week you work, plus double pay on bank holidays.

We’ll cover your travel costs

We cover your travel costs in full to and from a placement, no matter how far you travel from where you’re living in the UK.

Access loyalty rewards

Through a trusted provider, you’ll be able to access things like free mental health therapy sessions, self-employment assistance, and high-street shopping discounts.

Join the UK’s leading introductory live-in care agency, and be part of an active and uplifting community of carers that’s delivered over 350,000 days of care to people in the place they are happiest – their own home. Begin your application.

Your application process


Complete our simple application form

It’ll ask you about your skills, experience and background, and should take around 10 minutes to complete. 


Book a time to chat

A member of our carer team will have a quick phone call with you to get to know you better, and answer your questions.


Meet us face to face

We’ll schedule a half hour video interview with you, so that you can tell us about yourself in more detail, and let us know what you’re looking for. 


Share your documents

Before you get started we’ll need your Enhanced DBS or PVG, your right to work (usually a passport or ID card), and a couple of professional references.


Join the MyElder platform

We’ll help you set up your profile on MyElder, so that our families can learn more about you. It’s also where you can find and apply to placements, manage your schedule, access care plans, and connect with the Elder community for advice and support. 

Frequently asked questions

What is live-in care?

Live-in care is a type of care that helps older, vulnerable people stay in their own homes, connected to the people, places and routines that matter most to them. Carers live-in the property with the person they are caring for and offer one to one support with their daily needs.

What types of placements does Elder offer?

Elder offers two types of placements:

Short-term placements last between one to four weeks. On these placements, there will be an end and start date listed, and the carer stays with the person they’re caring for between these dates.

Long-term placements are ongoing placements where the carer becomes the primary caregiver. For many carers, caring for the same person on an ongoing basis helps them to forms really strong relationships with the person they’re caring for, and their family.

It’s important that carers on long-term placements give themselves time to rest and recharge, so we encourage them to schedule breaks – usually a week or two away, every four to 10 weeks.

Where do Elder carers work?

Elder has placements available across almost every county of the UK, and you’ll have the freedom to choose which placements you’d like to attend and when, by viewing and applying for them them through our online portal, MyElder.

Does Elder provide hourly work?

Elder does not provide hourly or shift work, only live-in care. Therefore, as a carer on our platform, you’ll always need to stay overnight at the home of the person you’re caring for.

Does Elder take on carers of other nationalities?

Yes, we welcome carers from all over the world. We only ask that you have at least one year’s experience working in care, have clear, fluent English, and have the relevant documentation to work in the UK.

What experience do I need to become an Elder carer?

We ask that carers on our platform have at least one year of professional experience within the live-in care industry. Ideally you’ll also be able to provide us with two references, and proof of any qualifications you have in care.

What documents will I need in order to apply

To complete your application, we ask you to provide the following: 

  • An Enhanced DBS or PVG if you’re in Scotland
  • Proof of your Right to Work – usually this will be a passport or biometric ID card
  • Two professional care references – we can sometimes accept fewer references, for example, if you’ve only professionally cared for one person, or if a place you have worked has now closed down.

Do I have to be self-employed to work as a carer with Elder?

All Elder carers are self-employed. This means that you are responsible for your own taxes and National Insurance contributions. For information on being self-employed and registering with the HMRC please click here.

Is the application process fully remote?

Yes, you can apply to become an Elder carer from wherever you are in the UK – our application process is fully remote.